“It was such an enjoyable and informative morning. I’m quite confident I will never get lost again”
Fear of getting lost is a barrier to many people going walking, in particular if they are unfamiliar with the route. When walking in lowland countryside and woodland, using your mobile phone as a navigation aid can give you the confidence needed to explore new places. This interactive and educational walk has been carefully designed to provide you with the knowledge and confidence needed to use your mobile phone as a navigation aid.
What to expect
During this 3 hour outdoor learning course you can expect to learn:
- How to locate yourself on the map
- How to create a live trace of your route
- How to follow a pre-defined route
- How to see if you’ve gone off-track
- How to use the app to make route choices on the ground (eg if need an escape route or to go a different way from what was planned for any reason)
- Understanding the map key – what do the different types of lines and colours mean
- Openstreet vs Topographic maps – benefits of each
- How to judge distance and therefore also time a route (or section of a route) will take
- Tips for battery-saving
- Free vs paid versions of mobile mapping apps
- How to use these apps when you have no mobile signal
All participants are required to bring their own smart phone.
Pre-course information will be sent out to all registered attendees with detailed set-up instructions (saves time on the day).
The app used to demonstrate the above outcomes is Visorando, which is free to download. Following the course, attendees can resort to their app of choice or continue to use Visorando. Read more about Visorando in this review.
To maximise your enjoyment of the experience, attendee numbers are limited to 5 per session.
This event is unsuitable for dogs.
Transport & Facilities
The courses take place in Ayrshire, south west Scotland. There are various locations used, the main one being Eglinton Country Park near Kilwinning. You can find out more specifics about travelling to the course meeting point and what facilities you can expect there by clicking through to my Eventbrite page.
We will cover a distance of 2-3 miles at a gentle pace, with frequent stops to discuss and learn. Expect a mixture of surfaced paths and woodland trails which can be uneven and muddy. There might be steps or steep ground on the route – check the information available on Eventbrite for your chosen date / location.
What to Bring
Dress for the changeable Scottish winter weather and lots of standing around! Warm, waterproof clothing and plenty of layers are important in winter. Fingerless gloves or gloves with touchscreen capability are recommended. A flask with a hot drink in it and some water, a snack you can eat whilst on the go. A fully charged mobile phone is obviously a requirement too.
Full price: £40.00 Reduced rate* £25.00
*To make this event more accessible to people currently on lower incomes there is the option to book a reduced rate ticket. You can choose what you pay based on your circumstances – you won’t be asked for any proof or ID. This is entirely based on trust.
What accreditations, experience and knowledge does Gillian’s Walks have?
You can expect an experienced, friendly guide with detailed knowledge of walking in the South West of Scotland. I can help you discover some of the history of the areas we will walk in, as well as the flora and fauna growing around us. I’ve been leading group walks since 2017 and am a certified Lowland Walk Leader. This means that I have undertaken nationally accredited training and assessment with Mountain Training UK and it qualifies me to lead groups on day walks in lowland countryside and woodland. I’m also trained in outdoor first aid and am fully insured. A member of the Ayrshire Coastal Path Management Board, I’m truly passionate about showcasing the walking opportunities the area has to offer. I’m considered a Walking Ambassador for the Ayrshire region by the 11,000 people who follow me on social media and take advantage of my free Walking Route resource.
What are your Terms & Conditions?
Outdoor activities can be hazardous. Gillian’s Walks is responsible for the overall safety of the group while out on this course, so in order to manage the risk, you are requested make the Guide aware should you feel unhappy or feel the activity is beyond your ability. By agreeing to participate in this event, you agree to accept these risks and will be responsible for your own actions.
Payment for the walk is required in full at the time of booking. If you decide to cancel for any reason the following will apply:
- Bookings can be moved to an alternative date at no extra cost subject to availability. Note that alternative dates offered are not guaranteed to be at the same location as originally booked and may take place elsewhere in Ayrshire.
- Bookings cancelled more than 7 days in advance of the event date – Gillian’s Walks will issue a full refund less 10% to cover admin costs and fees.
- Bookings cancelled within 7 days of the event date – your booking is non refundable unless Gillian’s Walks is able to fill your place(s) – in this case Gillian’s Walks will issue a full refund for each place filled, less 10% to cover admin costs and fees.
- In the event of a no-show, your booking is non-refundable.
In the unlikely event that an event is cancelled by Gillian’s Walks, you will be offered the option to transfer your booking to a different date or receive a full refund. Gillian’s Walks is not liable for any travel, accommodation or other costs you might incur if an event has to be cancelled. Note that alternative dates offered are not guaranteed to be at the same location as originally booked and may take place elsewhere in Ayrshire.
“I recently attended Gillian’s navigation course which I found really practical and easy to understand, using the Visarando App and map layers not only gave me confidence to be able to follow a route but also the skills to alter the route should I need to because of diversions or other issues. Everything from her pre course instructions and set up to follow up post course was very impressive.”
— Tracy Moynihan